Friday 31 July 2009

Markets are the Future

I haven't traded at a market for a few years now and, as I now organise arts fairs at work, I thought I'd better get some practice in, selling my own stuff.
Markets and fairs are a great marketing opportunity, a way to meet your customers, test trade your goods and gauge public interest. They can either be really well attended with lots of buyers or spectacularly dismal, like the Great British Weather.



Last weekend I showed my stuff at The Royal Arcade, Keighley as part of a small but select group of crafts people. I was surprised at how well I did, particularly as the footfall wasn't brilliant. We were very lucky with the weather and, although we were competing with a big event at Cliffe Castle, Louise of Blue Ginger worked hard to bring the public into the arcade.



So there I am, writing to artists who take part in our Arts Markets about how to set out an eye catching display but not actually taking my own advice! This display looks a bit jungly although I'm quite pleased with my hand written labels.



There's definitely room for improvement when it comes to display and I'll have another shot at it tomorrow at the Craft Fair in Cavendish Court, Keighley to celebrate Yorkshire Day. I'm booked to do the Saltaire Arts Trail Maker's Fair in September so, by the time that comes around, I should be more experienced at display.



Inside Royal Arcade, Keighley. For more images visit Flickr.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Please add your comments - I love to hear from you.